Easy 15 Minute Sprouted Grain Pizza
Over the last 6+ years, I've experimented with every diet from vegan to paleo. My Mom (being the saint that she is) even got in the habit of calling before I'd come to visit to find out what my latest dietary restrictions were because she could never keep up.
(thanks Mom for always accommodating with a smile!)
My obsession with learning more about food and how it impacts health is actually what lead me to become a Personal Trainer and Nutrition Coach. I remember sitting at (yet another) health and wellness talk, and when it was over I thought, "hmm, I didn't learn anything... I already knew all of this!" And that's what gave me the courage to quit my cushy Wall Street job and dive into the health and fitness world.
But I digress...
I'm guessing you came to this post for a delicious pizza recipe, not for a long and drawn out story about all the diets I've tried, right? I'll go ahead and summarize by saying that after years (literally) of experimenting, observing clients, and digging into the science and research (which btw is still a relatively new field), I've concluded that dairy and gluten, especially in moderation, won't kill you and can still fit into a healthy diet for most people.
Yep, that's right, you can still eat pizza on occasion and you shouldn't feel guilty or like you are "cheating" on your health.
Only caveat? As with any food (even health foods), there is a better for you and worse for you spectrum. This recipe helps you dramatically shift your pizza night to the "better for you" side of the scale. And the best part?
IT ONLY TAKES 15 MINUTES START TO FINISH!
You don't need weird ingredients like yeast or hours or prep-time to get a delicious and healthy crust. All you need is Trader Joe's and their newest product, Sprouted Grain Pizza Crust.
Prep time: 5 minute | 8-10 minute cook time
- Trader Joe's Pizza Crust (comes with 2 crusts)
- Fresh mozzarella
- Pizza sauce (look for brands without added sugar if possible)
- Oregano (optional)
- Toppings of choice
- Pre-heat oven as hot as it will go for 5-10 minutes (yes, it feels scary to turn your oven to 500+ degrees. You might even wonder if you will blow up your kitchen... but you won't, it's made for this. Just make sure you also open a window so that your smoke detector doesn't go crazy). **Pro tip: Pizza stones are game changers. If you have one, be sure to pre-heat the stone as well. If you don't have one, get one, but while you wait for Amazon to deliver it, use a regular baking sheet.
- While the oven is heating, prep your crust by adding a layer of pizza sauce, small chunks of mozzarella spread evenly, and all of your toppings of choice.
- Carefully pull out pizza stone or baking sheet and place the prepped pizza on top, and return it to the oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until outside crust is golden.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before digging in (the cheese will melt the roof of your mouth if you rush this), and DON'T forget to turn off the oven. Enjoy!
I should add a quick disclaimer... this is a healthier crust, and it does taste healthier (so if you are new to the whole wheat or sprouted grains game, this may taste a bit cardboard-esk to you)... but it will absolutely satisfy your pizza craving (which if you are like me where you crave it all the time, is a big win).
Any favorite topping combos?? Comment below with your top 3 go-to add-ons.